Wellness & Retention
Hudson & Holland recognizes that “college success” is not just about academic achievement and that individual student success is not something that can be standardized for all. But, most importantly, we recognize that all college students face different sets of non-academic challenges in completing their education. It is our mission is to provide individualized and holistic student support that includes wellness programming and resources to help our scholars balance their academic, social, personal, and professional lives so they can successfully achieve their academic and career goals. The Wellness and Retention Program helps connect students with resources inside and outside IU that help to maintain student mental and physical health.
What is Wellness and Retention?
Wellness and Retention (W&R) is student-centered programming offered to scholars in HHSP which focuses on holistic development to achieve scholar’s success. This program goes beyond the intellectual dimensions of academic readiness to include non-cognitive skills and development in supporting scholar wellness which allows students to experience continued individualized and communal growth.
The purpose of W&R is to connect scholars to essential resources within IU and the surrounding community and by guiding students through the Five Domains of Wellness we hope to promote on-going personal and professional growth for all our students.
The five domains of wellness are:
- Occupational Health
- Assist scholars in holistic development (intellectual, social, physical, emotional, professional, and spiritual).
- Identify and provide prevention and intervention for at-risk scholars.
- Advocacy for student success and provide referrals for scholars' development.
- Provides innovative programming from health and wellness to study skills to professional development.
- Develop and deploy evaluation tools to inform further best practices for HHSP and Wellness and Retention programming.